The inspiration for this name came from the Biblical text in Luke 15, 1-2; 8-10, when the woman found her lost coin and called her friends to rejoice with her. For the first members, the lost coin, the Drachma, represents those people who have been side-lined because of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and the eventual discovery of the joy of belonging and integration. Drachma believes that LGBTI persons are an integral part of God’s plan for humanity and indeed it endeavours to offer a sacred space for LGBTI people, parents, relatives and friends with the aim of searching together for Truth, through sexual and spiritual integration.
Drachma is not only engaged with LGBTI communities, locally and internationally, but also promotes dialogue between gay communities and religious institutions.
Drachma is a space open to all persons of good will who seek sexual and spiritual integration. It includes lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgendered and intersex persons, as well as friends of LGBTI persons who wish to meet to pray together and explore the intersections between sexuality, gender, gender identity, faith, spirituality and religion. It also includes parents, siblings, relatives and all those who wish to accompany and support LGBTI people, and other parents and relatives of LGBTI persons in their life journeys.
Drachma is a group largely inspired by the Roman Catholic tradition, values and spirituality but is open to people coming from different religious traditions or none at all. Drachma also explores ecumenical and inter-faith spaces.
- To offer a safe space for LGBTI persons, their parents, friends and relatives where they can explore, nurture each other and grow spiritually in a holistic manner.
- To build bridges with society, the LGBTI Community, religious institutions and with the people of God, in Malta and beyond.
- To explore, discern and develop our different ministries, as individuals, as individual groups and as one Drachma Community.
- To live, study and write theology individually and collectively.
- To extend our reflections and prayers to other marginalised groups.
- To extend our reflections about sexual and spiritual integration to all.
- To create further spaces to include those who need to keep a distance from religion yet need a similar place like Drachma.
- To keep exploring ways of becoming more inclusive within our community.
Drachma and its multiple spaces
The Drachma Community gathers within it many spaces for diverse LGBTI realities. Within this larger space there are intertwining spaces for Drachma LGBTI and Drachma Parents Group.
Drachma LGBTI is the main space for LGBTI persons. It aims to:
- search for existential meaning;
- inspire LGBTI people to explore sexual and spiritual integration whilst becoming more inclusive of the whole spectrum of sexuality;
- accompany LGBTI persons especially those who feel excluded.
Drachma Parents Group is the main space for parents, relatives and friends of LGBTI persons. It aims to offer:
- acceptance, compassion, support and protection;
- an outreach to other parents;
- a space towards sustaining family relationships;
- a simple yet significant presence of hope;
- a bridge with the hierarchy through dialogue.